Comedian, Screenwriter, Actor, Director, Speaker, Author, Coach
Rick Najera is an American sketch comedian, screenwriter, director, producer, actor, author, playwright, coach and national speaker with an expansive portfolio of credits in all forms of entertainment.
From starring in films with George Clooney to directing Perez Hilton in Britney Spears World Tour to coaching Jennifer Lopez, Najera is best known for starring on Broadway in Latinologues, directed by comedy legend Cheech Marin.
Currently Najera is a writer and guest star on Hulu’s Emmy-nominated original series, East Los High, director of the CBS Diversity Sketch Comedy Show, and a national motivational speaker and coach (Google, CNN, Harvard, CBS) addressing themes such as diversity, entertainment, politics and comedy. Najera also stars in upcoming film, Taco shop along with MTV’s Teen Wolf Tyler Posey.
As a writer, Najera has written for television, film, new media and Broadway, from East Los High, MADtv, In Living Color, to the feature film Nothing Like the Holidays starring Debra Messing, Alfred Molina, John Leguizamo and Luis Guzman, which won him a prestigious ALMA Award. His writing credits also include the nationally acclaimed stage play, Latinologues™ on Broadway (in which he also starred), and was one of only three Latinos to ever write and star in their own play on Broadway. Najera is currently writing a feature film for Lions Gate Entertainment.
Director of the CBS Diversity Sketch Comedy Showcase in his 12th year, Najera oversees and teaches a masterclass of writing and stage performance and presents the most important showcase of talent in the industry. Under his tutelage, more than 65 actors from the showcase have been cast as series regulars or leads in popular television shows including MADtv, Saturday Night Live (SNL) and The Daily Show and hundreds have gone on to successful careers in the entertainment industry.
Najera is an award-winning author of four books: Latins Anonymous, Pain of the Macho, Latinologues on Broadway and his latest, Almost White: Forced Confessions of a Latino in Hollywood, which has garnered national attention and five star reviews on Amazon.
Najera also developed and is host of Latino Thought Makers Live Series (in its fourth season) interviewing his network of celebrity friends such as Edward James Olmos, Danny Trejo, and dozens more.
Najera has been nominated for numerous industry awards including two WGA awards for Best Writing for a Comedy/Variety Television Series on MADtv.
For more information on Rick Najera, visit www.ricknajera.com.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION:
- Exemplar in Humanity-Centered Media & Community Engagement by Media Done Responsibly
- 1st Place – ‘Most Inspirational Non-Fiction Book’ for Almost White: Forced Confessions of a Latino in Hollywood, International Latino Book Awards, (2014)
- 2nd Place, ‘Best Biography’ International Latino Book Awards (2014)
- ‘Most Influential Industry Executive’ LISTA: Latinos in Science & Technology Assoc. (2013)
- Authored his fourth book, ALMOST WHITE: Confessions of a Latino in Hollywood (2013)
- Humanitarian Award Winner – LISTA -Latinos in Science and Technology Association (2011)
- ALMA Award winner, Best Writer, Special Achievement, Nothing Like The Holidays, (2009)
- Imagen Award nomination, Best Live Theatrical Performance, DADDY DIARIES (2009)
- ‘Jerry Lester Award’ for Theatrical Performance, Sweet 15 (2008)
- ‘Hispanic Pioneer of America’ – Discovery Channel en Español (2006)
- ‘Top 10 Celebrities to Watch’, San Diego Latino Film Festival (2006)
- ‘100 Most Influential Latinos in America’ – HISPANIC Business Magazine (2005)
- Writers Guild of America (WGA) Award Nomination, Television Writing Achievement for Outstanding Script in a Comedy / Variety Series (2004)
- Image Award, Best Live Theatrical Production, Rick Najera’s LATINOLOGUES™ (2004)
- Writers Guild of America (WGA) Award Nomination, Television Writing Achievement for Outstanding Script in a Comedy / Variety Series (2003)
- ALMA Award Nominee, Best Writer for a Television Drama, ABC
- Nosotros Golden Eagle Award, Best Writer, Latino Laugh Festival for Showtime
- ‘50 Most Influential in Hollywood’ – VARIETY
- 100 Most Influential Latinos in America’ – HISPANIC Business Magazine (1996)
For more information on Rick Najera visit www.ricknajera.com.
View Rick’s work on IMDB.