Speaker, Host, Screenwriter, Comedian, Actor, Playwright, Director, Author
Rick Najera is an American sketch comedian, screenwriter, director, producer, actor, author, playwright, coach and national speaker with an expansive portfolio of credits in all forms of entertainment.
From starring in films with George Clooney to directing Perez Hilton in Britney Spears World Tour to coaching Jennifer Lopez, Najera is best known for starring on Broadway in Latinologues, directed by comedy legend Cheech Marin.
Najera is a national motivational speaker and coach (Google, CNN, Harvard, CBS) addressing themes such as diversity, entertainment, Hispanic market, politics and comedy. He is currently the host of Latino Thought Makers, a live leadership-celebrity-interview series interviewing his network of celebrity friends and community leaders such as Edward James Olmos, Danny Trejo, Dolores Huerta and dozens more. Latino Thought Makers was just announced as a new, national radio show and premiered in December, 2017 on KPFK 90.7FM, Radio Pacifica.
As a writer, Najera has written for television, film, new media and Broadway, from Hulu’s Emmy-nominated series East Los High, MADtv and In Living Color, to the feature film Nothing Like the Holidays starring Debra Messing, Alfred Molina, John Leguizamo and Luis Guzman, which won him an ALMA Award. His writing credits also include the nationally acclaimed stage play, Latinologues™ on Broadway (in which he also starred), and was one of only three Latinos to ever write and star in their own play on Broadway. Najera is currently rewriting his stage play, Sweet 15 and writing a feature film for Lions Gate Entertainment.
Najera directed CBS Diversity Sketch Comedy Showcase for 13 years and oversaw the most important showcase of talent in the industry. Under his tutelage, hundreds of diverse actors from the showcase have been cast as series regulars or leads in popular television shows including MADtv, Saturday Night Live (SNL) and The Daily Show or have gone on to successful careers in the entertainment industry.
Najera is an award-winning author of four books: Latins Anonymous, Pain of the Macho, Latinologues on Broadway and his latest memoire, Almost White: Forced Confessions of a Latino in Hollywood, which won Most Inspirational Book (non-fiction) garnered national attention and five star reviews on Amazon.
Najera has been nominated for numerous industry awards including two WGA awards for Best Writing for a Comedy/Variety Television Series on MADtv.
For more information on Rick Najera, visit www.ricknajera.com.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION:
- Visionary Award – Latino Leadership Annual Summit (2017)
- Most Powerful & Influential Latinos in Entertainment Award- Imagen Foundation (2017)
- Top 13 in Diversity – L.A. Times Readers Poll (2016)
- Exemplar in Humanity-Centered Media & Community Engagement by Media Done Responsibly (2016)
- 1st Place – ‘Most Inspirational Non-Fiction Book’ for Almost White: Forced Confessions of a Latino in Hollywood, International Latino Book Awards, (2014)
- 2nd Place, ‘Best Biography’ International Latino Book Awards (2014)
- ‘Most Influential Industry Executive’ LISTA: Latinos in Science & Technology Assoc. (2013)
- Authored his fourth book, ALMOST WHITE: Confessions of a Latino in Hollywood (2013)
- Humanitarian Award Winner – LISTA -Latinos in Science and Technology Association (2011)
- ALMA Award winner, Best Writer, Special Achievement, Nothing Like The Holidays, (2009)
- Imagen Award nomination, Best Live Theatrical Performance, DADDY DIARIES (2009)
- ‘Jerry Lester Award’ for Theatrical Performance, Sweet 15 (2008)
- ‘Hispanic Pioneer of America’ – Discovery Channel en Español (2006)
- ‘Top 10 Celebrities to Watch’, San Diego Latino Film Festival (2006)
- ‘100 Most Influential Latinos in America’ – HISPANIC Business Magazine (2005)
- Writers Guild of America (WGA) Award Nomination, Television Writing Achievement for Outstanding Script in a Comedy / Variety Series (2004)
- Image Award, Best Live Theatrical Production, Rick Najera’s LATINOLOGUES™ (2004)
- Writers Guild of America (WGA) Award Nomination, Television Writing Achievement for Outstanding Script in a Comedy / Variety Series (2003)
- ALMA Award Nominee, Best Writer for a Television Drama, ABC
- Nosotros Golden Eagle Award, Best Writer, Latino Laugh Festival for Showtime
- ‘50 Most Influential in Hollywood’ – VARIETY
- 100 Most Influential Latinos in America’ – HISPANIC Business Magazine (1996)
For more information on Rick Najera visit www.ricknajera.com.
View Rick’s work on IMDB.